‘Editor’s Corner’ is a monthly-ish series highlighting what I’m loving, what I’ve been up to, what’s on my mind and more!
Hello! I hope you had a great Thanksgiving if you celebrate it! It was so nice to spend the holiday with family and get in some Christmas activities over the long weekend. While it was pretty cold here on Thanksgiving Day, the weather has been super nice since and I wouldn’t be mad if December stayed in the 40s and 50s. Okay, well except for the week of Christmas since I always hope for a “White Christmas!”
1. ICYMI, I posted 10 holiday GIFT GUIDES. I had so much fun putting them together and hope they can be a handy resource and spark inspiration for your gift-giving. Keep these guides in mind when shopping for any occasion!
2. One of our favorite holiday traditions is attending the annual Festival of Trees and Lights, which is the largest fundraiser for Blank Children’s Hospital. Lake had a great time doing the scavenger hunt for kids and Etta was definitely entranced by all of the sparkly lights! The tree that I voted for as my favorite won first place in The People’s Choice awards!
3. Red (Taylor’s Version) was (of course!) one of the highlights of November for me. I was most excited for the 10 minute version of “All Too Well” and it did not disappoint. The outro is my favorite part of the song – it’s just so beautiful. Also, the short film is terrific and Taylor’s SNL performance was lovely. Along with “ATW10MVTV,” I absolutely love “Nothing New.”
5. I recently nerded out over this video. I’ve always considered the Interstate Highway System to be one of the greatest inventions ever and so I thought this video on its history was really interesting. Along with the construction of the Golden Gate Bridge, I think the construction of I-70 through Glenwood Canyon in Colorado is an engineering marvel!
6. If you’re in the mood for something educational and entertaining, check out WIRED’s 5 Levels videos where an expert explains a complex subject in five levels of complexity. It’s really interesting and I definitely binge-watched the playlist!
7. I was so happy the Braves won the World Series! I honestly don’t follow the team closely but I was a huge Braves fan in junior high.
8. Okay, this is way too relatable for me!
10. I took this quiz and passed. Haha!
11. Along with Boston, the New York City Marathon is my favorite major marathon. This year I especially enjoyed watching Molly Seidel, who finished fourth, overall. Molly grinds and grinds and is tough as nails! It was also cool to see former Iowa State runner Annie Frisbie make her marathon debut and finish in seventh place!
12. There are a lot of great holiday products at Trader Joe’s right now! Check out their holiday guide to see all of the seasonal goodies.
13. There’s a new search engine that has an interesting concept. You.com is billed as “an ad-free, privacy-centric Google search alternative that doesn’t mine users’ search histories for targeted ads and makes no attempt to track users after they’ve left the site.”
14. I enjoyed scrolling through these photos of Karl Lagerfeld’s never seen before Paris apartment. It comes as no surprise that it’s stunning!
15. Researchers have compiled the ultimate playlist of songs that will give you chills.
And lastly, ONE GOOD QUOTE – in the spirit of Thanksgiving and giving thanks:
“Gratitude turns what we have into enough.”
I hope you had a great November! Be on the lookout for my Christmas favorites post which will be coming soon!
Thanks so much for reading!!
P.S. – ICYMI this month:
Holiday Gift Guides 2021
Gift Guide: Shop Local Des Moines
Gift Guide: For Her
Gift Guide: For Him
Gift Guide: For The Beauty Lover
Gift Guide: For The Health And Wellness Enthusiast
Gift Guide: For The Home
Gift Guide: For The Little Girl
Gift Guide: For The Little Boy
Gift Guide: For Baby
Gift Guide: Under $20
*Click HERE to read past Editor’s Corner posts.