‘Editor’s Corner’ is a monthly-ish series highlighting what I’m loving, what I’ve been up to, what’s on my mind and more!
Well, hello there! It’s good to be writing an Editor’s Corner again! My last one was in December, so there’s a lot to catch up on since then…read: my longest Editor’s Corner to date!
1. First and foremost, I want to wish T a very Happy Birthday!! His birthday was in January and since I haven’t posted an EC since December, I wanted to make sure to mention it here!
2. I celebrated a birthday as well. Last month I turned 40! I was talking to my girlfriend who also turned 40 in February and she was like “Can you believe we’re 40?!” And I was like, “No, I really can’t!” But whenever I feel like I’m getting sooo old, I remind myself of this sage quote: “Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.” Also, this article is spot on.
4. I want to extend a huge congrats to my bestie, Kelsi on her engagement!! I cannot wait to celebrate!
5. I recently did an ad for Nebullam, which is an indoor farm that grows year-round in Ames and offers same-day harvest and delivery to Central and Eastern Iowa. Nebullam’s produce contains no pesticides and has a four times better shelf life! I signed up for their subscription service and will be receiving rainbow chard, broccoli sprouts and peashoots each month. For a limited time, use code ‘JOLENE’ & receive $10 off your first order when you sign up at nebullam.com.
6. By far the coolest thing I did this month was help a blind/low vision person via the Be My Eyes app. Be My Eyes is a mobile app that aims to help blind and visually impaired people to recognize objects and cope with everyday situations. An online community of sighted volunteers receive photos or videos from randomly assigned affected individuals and assist via a live video call. I signed up on the app on Monday March 21 and I received my first call on Wednesday March 23. The woman who called wanted to change the temperature on her thermostat and I told her when she reached the desired number. I highly recommend downloading the app! Click HERE to learn more about becoming a volunteer.
7. Two things that have been weighing heavy on my mind and heart are those who were affected by the tornadoes in Iowa and those who are being affected by the war in Ukraine. Whenever there’s a cause or concern, I like to research how I can take action as to how to help, even be it small, so I’m including a couple of useful links:
- Donations and volunteer efforts are ongoing: How to help Iowa tornado victims
- 30 Meaningful Ways You Can Help Ukraine
8. I’ve watched this video so many times now!
10. I’ve been wanting to visit Art Terrarium for what feels like forever now and I finally got there! I told the employee that I wanted a couple of the most low maintenance plants and I walked away with a Snake Plant and a Philodendron Birkin. I also picked up the Dojo planter and a moisture meter. If you’re a plant lover, I highly suggest hitting them up as they’re so nice and knowledgeable! And who doesn’t love supporting local?!
11. So true for me. So very true.
12. The creativity here. I mean…!!!
15. My best friend bought Lake these paint sticks and I agree with her that they really are the best!
17. Such a cute mom!
19. 20 Life-Changing Books Everyone Should Read At Least Once. I wholeheartedly agree with 14, 18 and 19.
20. Harry’s House. May 20th. Got it on my calendar!
22. Some good advice.
23. Such a great sensory bin idea! – How To Dye Beans & Pasta For Sensory Play.
24. Lake basically lives in these black leggings. In fact, anytime I’m at Walmart I keep buying more in the next size up!
25. Have you seen the true-crime documentary that everyone’s talking about? I watched it and it was so, so wild.
26. Beauty lovers! The Sephora Spring Savings event runs April 1-11. The sale gives 10 percent off to Beauty Insiders, 15 percent off for VIB members, and 20 percent off for VIB Rouge customers. The sale only happens twice a year so it’s a great time to try out new products and/or stock on on your holy grail ones! I’ll be posting what I buy during the sale on my LikeToKnowIt.
27. I keep seeing this healthy dessert all over Instagram and it looks super easy and delicious.
28. How’s your NCAA bracket doing? I got one of the final four teams correct and I have them winning it all. Go ‘Nova!
29. These new Trader Joe’s Sour Cream & Onion snacks made with lentils and rice and are pretty tasty. Lake crushed almost the entire bag when I bought them for the first time. I think they’d be delicious crushed on a salad as well.
30. And lastly, ONE GOOD QUOTE:
“May your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears.”
I hope you had a terrific March!! Thanks so much for reading!
*Click HERE to read past Editor’s Corner posts.