‘Editor’s Corner’ is a monthly-ish series highlighting what I’m loving, what I’ve been up to, what’s on my mind and more!
Happy Memorial Day! I hope you’re having a fun and/or relaxing weekend! We’ve had a nice one so far. On Saturday, we visited graves and had lunch at Hickory Park. Yesterday, we had brunch at Americana and today we’re doing some things around the house and hanging out in the backyard enjoying the 73 degree weather!
Is it just me or was May really long? It seems like May 1 was two months ago rather than one! I think that May, along with August and December, seem to be the busiest months of the year.
1. ICYMI, I announced my pregnancy on the blog/social media at the beginning of this month! I also revealed the gender. I’ll be 34 weeks this Thursday, so I’m getting close to the homestretch! We took maternity/family photos this month and I’m really excited to see them. On a related note, I also wrote a post about my pregnancy must-haves.
RELATED READING: Maternity Photos For Baby #2
2. Lake turned 2! We had so much fun celebrating Lake’s second birthday with both sides of our families. Ever since, she’s been obsessed with singing the “Happy Birthday” song. She will randomly start singing it and then at the end will clap and exclaim “Yay!” On the food front, she’s obsessed with blackberries and watermelon. (The girl LOVES fruit.) She’s currently at that stage where she will repeat everything we say and we have to spell out certain things we don’t want her to hear, haha! She has also started saying some of the cutest things like “Bless you, daddy” after T sneezes and “Love you sweetie, I’ll miss you” when she and I say our goodbyes in the morning.
3. Kevin also celebrated his birthday this month! He turned 4 and celebrated with a cheeseburger and fries. He also had a fun playdate this month with his new buddy and fellow yellow Lab, Ron. T and I and Ron’s owner, Steph, have always talked about how much they look alike and we can now confirm, after seeing them together, they definitely do! Looking forward to more playdates for these two!
4. I hope all the moms out there had a wonderful Mother’s Day! I had the best time relaxing and spending the day with T and Lake.
5. T ran his first in-person race in awhile (due to races being canceled due to COVID-19) this month and got ‘First Overall Male.’ The video of that is still to come on his running YouTube channel.
RELATED READING: Running Q&A With My Husband
6. We went to the Downtown Farmers’ Market on opening day on May 1. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, there weren’t many vendors. Since restrictions have eased up throughout this month, though, it looks like a lot more vendors have popped up since.
7. We had fun checking out all of the beautiful tulips at Tulip Time in Pella. I also got some of my beloved Dutch letters so that was very exciting, haha.
8. We went to the zoo and Lake had a blast seeing all of the animals. We didn’t know if she’d be into it or not, but she loved it! The monkeys were her favorite.
9. I had so much fun volunteering at the Girls on the Run season-ending 5k. I had the privilege of being a GOTR coach for nine seasons and I still love being involved with this phenomenal program that promotes girl empowerment by teaching life skills through lessons and running.
10. Last Thursday evening we attended an Iowa Cubs game for my work’s annual I-Cubs outing. It was 51 degrees(!) but we still had fun cheering on the Cubbies. It was also Lake’s first baseball game!
11. If you’re local and like sourdough bread, I highly recommend checking out Bread By Chelsa B – a microbakery based in Des Moines specializing in artisan sourdough breads. We recently tried the Sourdough Country Loaf and Roasted Garlic Sourdough Foccacia and they were both delicious! I was corresponding with Chelsa and told her that I can’t wait to see all the delectable creations she comes out with for the fall/holiday season!
12. Back in February, I predicted then-15-year-old Casey Bishop would win American Idol this season. She did not, but she still did very well and finished in fourth place. It was awesome that my other favorite, Grace Kinstler, finished in third place. I hope we see a lot more from these two talented ladies.
14. A few links from the Web that I enjoyed or found interesting this month:
- Mowing with a mission: Man cuts lawns for people with medical needs at no cost
- Harvard psychologist to parents: Do these 7 things if you want to raise kids with flexible, resilient brains
- Woman who didn’t know she was pregnant delivered a preterm baby midflight. NICU nurses happened to be onboard
15. This is so me, haha.
16. And lastly, ONE GOOD QUOTE – in honor of Memorial Day and those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for our country and all of the freedoms we enjoy today:
“We don’t know them all, but we owe them all.”
I hope you had a terrific May! I’m excited for June and the official start of summer. And, of course…being on #babywatch! 👶🏻 As always, thank you SO much for reading!
*Click HERE to read past Editor’s Corner posts.