Since my first blog post last week was about why I started a blog, I thought it was fitting to have my second post give you a little insight into who I am!
Whenever I visit a personal blog for the first time I go straight to their ‘About Me‘ page. After that I see if they have a ‘Random Facts About Me’ or ‘Fun Facts About Me’ post. I find these types of posts so much fun to read because you get to know the person behind the blog. So, here are 30 random facts about me!
1. One of my biggest passions is running. I love running as a hobby and also love to read, watch and talk about all things running. In the same vein, I’m also a big Track & Field fan. T (my husband) also loves running, so it’s really cool to enjoy it together.
2. I have a strong interest in health and wellness. I love keeping up on the latest scientific research, trying new healthy recipes and my favorite ways to stay active include: running, yoga, Pilates, hiking, playing tennis and swimming.
3. I absolutely love antique and thrift shopping.
4. I love traveling and exploring new places near and far. My favorite place I’ve visited so far is St. Lucia, where T and I went on our honeymoon. I love warm and tropical locations and also hope to visit and hike in as many National Parks as I can.
5. When I was a kid, I basically lived at my neighborhood swimming pool during the summers. I went on to become a lifeguard, swim instructor and assistant manager at that pool during my high school and college years. To this day those “pool days” hold some of my most treasured memories.
6. I graduated from Iowa State University with a degree in Journalism & Mass Communication and a minor in Criminal Justice Studies.
7. In college, I was a senior reporter for the Iowa State Daily newspaper and covered the crime/police/judicial beat.
8. I completed my college journalism internship at the Palisadian-Post in Pacific Palisades, California.
9. I completed my Criminal Justice Studies internship at the Iowa State Police Department, primarily focusing on false report analysis.
10. I was obsessed with sports in middle school through college. For college basketball I loved Iowa State, UCLA and Villanova. I also loved following the NBA (Penny Hardaway was my favorite), the Atlanta Braves and the Olympics, specifically gymnastics and figure skating. I still follow sports casually, but nowhere close to the extent as I did back then.
11. I really, really love Christmas. I actually listen to Christmas music all year round.
12. T proposed to me while we were on a hike in northeast Iowa.
13. I enjoy taking photos and have a strong appreciation for photography. I enjoy researching how to take better photos and practicing any chance I get. Currently, my favorite things to take photos of are my toddler daughter and flowers.
14. I’m a huge Taylor Swift fan. I’ve loved her music ever since I discovered her debut album on MySpace back in the day. I’m really into song lyrics and I think she’s a lyrical genius. I’ve attended five of her concerts so far and look forward to attending many more.
15. Penguins are my favorite animal.
16. It’s too tough for me to single out one favorite book but a few of my favorites are A Man Called Ove, When Breath Becomes Air and Can’t Hurt Me. (Click HERE and select the ‘Books’ category to see more of my favorite books).
17. While it may be tough for me to single out a favorite book, my favorite movie is without question “The Straight Story.”
18. I am blessed beyond belief to have such an amazing husband, daughter, family and friends.
19. YouTube is my favorite “social platform,” Web site, whatever, and it’s not even close.
20. I’m a lover of brunch. One of my favorite things to do when traveling is try out popular local brunch spots.
21. Traits I most admire in a person: kindness, empathy, gratitude, vulnerability and self-awareness.
22. I love beauty products, particularly skincare and nail polish. I gained a vast amount of my beauty knowledge from working at Sephora and Estée Lauder.
23. My favorite desserts are creme brûlée, Dutch Letters and strawberry pie.
24. I love looking at houses whether I’m just out and about or perusing online listings.
25. Winston Churchill is my favorite historical figure. He wasn’t perfect, but his wartime leadership was unparalleled.
26. I love the aesthetic, sunshine and produce of summer but my favorite season is fall. For me, you can’t beat the cool, crisp air and cozy vibes.
28. I adore fresh flowers. My favorites are ranunculus, anemones, peonies and roses.
30. My favorite drink is an iced matcha latte with a nut milk.
There you have it – 30 random facts about me! I hope you enjoyed getting to know me a little better! Feel free to leave a comment below letting me know a random/fun fact about you!