When I started my blog, I knew that I wanted to have my husband, Travis, write a guest post from time to time. I may be biased but I think he’s a pretty insightful guy! Since I posted 30 Random Facts About Me, I thought it made sense to start off with a “random facts” post so you can get to know him a little better. So, here are 25 random facts about my husband…written by my husband!
1. As a kid, I was a huge Chicago Bulls and Philadelphia Eagles fan, but I no longer have an affinity for those teams as an adult. (No specific reasons for that).
2. I made a hole-in-one during a high school golf meet. The best part of the story is that I shot a 10(!) on the first hole that same round.
3. I was named homecoming king my senior year of high school.
4. Somewhat related the previous fact, I graduated high school in a class of 23 students – and that included our foreign exchange student from Sweden.
5. I worked at a video store in college. We could only play Disney movies on the TVs, so at one point in time, I practically had The Lion King memorized.
6. I coached Little League for a couple of summers in college and it was probably the most fun job I’ve ever had.
7. I got a minor in Philosophy to go with my Journalism and Mass Communications degree from Iowa State University.
8. I’ve met several Presidents/Presidential candidates through my job, including Barack Obama, George W. Bush, Mitt Romney, John McCain and John Kerry. I’ve never meet Donald Trump but have been very close to him a few times.
9. I witnessed a woman pulled from a raging spillway on the Des Moines River by a man attached to and lowered by a crane. He swooped her up and pulled her out right in front of me, along with a crowd of terrified onlookers. A Des Moines Register photographer, who took a photo of the scene, won a Pulitzer Prize.
10. I’m an avid Iowa State Cyclones and Chicago Cubs fan. Watching the Cubs win the World Series was one of my most exhilarating moments aside from proposing to my wife, marrying my wife, and watching the birth of our daughter.
11. I had a front row seat for one of the biggest upsets in NCAA Tournament history when #15 seed Hampton took down #2 seed (and my beloved) Iowa State. I was in the tearful locker room after the game and saw one of the players literally crying in the rain as we drove back to our hotel from the arena.
12. I became an avid runner in my late 30s and have run a full marathon, seven half marathons and 20ks and numerous 5ks and 10ks.
RELATED READING: Running Q&A With My Husband
13. The human traits I most admire are humility, kindness and generosity.
14. The human trait I find most off-putting is an entitled attitude.
15. I love to read about economics and markets. I usually read four to five articles on the subject daily.
16. I can juggle a little bit. Not great, but good enough to surprise people.
18. My favorite animal to see in person is a gorilla. I find watching them to be mesmerizing.
19. I witnessed Ashton Eaton break the world record in the decathlon at the 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials in Eugene, Oregon.
20. I’ve enjoyed all types of music throughout my life, including country, hip-hop, folk and rock. Some artists/bands that I’ve had periods of infatuation with include: Dave Matthews Band, The Beatles, Garth Brooks, Nirvana, Neil Young, Led Zeppelin, Crosby Stills and Nash, Ben Harper, Jack Johnson, Harry Styles and Phish.
21. I was essentially single until I was 31 when I was introduced to my now-wife by my sister-in-law, Lori. It didn’t take me long to realize I had found my person and that I needed to make sure I did everything in my power not to screw it up. Luckily, she hung with me and I can say, unequivocally, that asking her out on our first date was the single best decision of my life!
22. I took my wife (unknowingly) to her least favorite restaurant for our first date. She didn’t reveal this until years later because she’s so nice.
23. I proposed to my wife at a park near Lansing, Iowa along the Mississippi River. We were up on a bluff standing in Iowa but could see both Minnesota and Wisconsin. I was able to rope a stranger in to getting a picture of the proposal.
24. We have a Yellow Lab named Kevin. He has unbridled enthusiasm and a not-so-great level of self-control. He’s an important part of the family and we’re expecting him to mellow as he gets older.
25. Last year, we welcomed our daughter, Lake, to the world. She is the light of our lives and has introduced us to a new kind of love that we couldn’t have truly understood until we experienced it. Watching her grow is nothing short of incredible.
There you have it – 30 random facts about my husband! Leave a comment below letting me know a random/fun fact about you!