Just like baby-related products in general, there are multitude of items out there that can assist with one’s breastfeeding and/or pumping experience. Today I’m sharing some of my tried and true products that have helped with my breastfeeding and pumping journey – the second time around.
Editor’s Note: I wrote the majority of this post when I was breastfeeding and pumping for Etta. She is currently 16 months old and I’m no longer nursing or pumping. I just wanted to add this clarification since the post is written in the present tense.
1. Haakaa Manual Breast Pump – If I could only pick ONE product to recommend, it would be the Haakaa – aka: my most used product. It can be used a few different ways but I personally use it to catch my let down while I nurse on the other side. *PRO TIP: When done filling or not in use, set the Haakaa inside a coffee mug so it doesn’t tip over and spill all your hard earned milk! The second generation model has a suction base and silicone cap, which would be very helpful. Check out this post, which has a ton of great Haakaa information and hacks.
2. Lansinoh Stay Dry Disposable Nursing Pads – I’ve never had any leaks while wearing these nursing pads. They’re super convenient, soft and absorbing.
3. Lansinoh Simple Wishes Hands-Free Pumping Bra – I tried a few different hands-free pumping bras and this one is by far the best. I use with my Spectra pump and it holds the flanges perfectly in place while pumping.
RELATED READING: 25 Baby Products Worth the Hype
4. LaVie 2-in-1 Warming Lactation Massager – These massagers feature adjustable heat and vibration to help improve milk flow, prevent blockages and speed up pumping time. While I don’t think they’ve had much of an impact on my milk supply, they’ve provided great relief on tender areas and partially clogged ducts. Lansinoh’s TheraPearl Breast Therapy Pack is also a great product that can help with breastfeeding and pumping discomfort.
5. Lansinoh Breastmilk Storage Bags. I like how these bags lie completely flat when storing breastmilk in the freezer and I’ve never had any issues with them leaking.
6. Spectra S1 Plus Electric Breast Pump – Along with the Haakaa, I highly recommend the Spectra electric breast pump. Specifically the S1 Plus model which is portable and rechargeable. I also bought the Elvie Stride and while I like it, it just doesn’t give me the output that I get with the Spectra. Many insurance carriers will cover full or partial cost of one breast pump per pregnancy. I’ve had good experiences ordering through both Aeroflow and 1 Natural Way.
RELATED READING: What’s In My Diaper Bag For A Baby And A Toddler
7. Spectra Premium Breast Milk Pump Accessory Kit with Baby Bottles – While there are other manufacturers that make pump parts that are compatible with the Spectra pump, I’ve stuck with Spectra branded parts when it comes to tubing, valves and backflow protectors. I purchased this kit when it was time to replace my parts.
8. Boppy Bare Naked Original Nursing Support – This nursing pillow offers well formed and comfortable support for both mom and baby while nursing. I use this protective pillow cover. It also works great for tummy time!
9. Silverette The Original Silver Nursing Cups – These anti-microbial cups are designed to soothe sore or cracked nipples with pure silver. They help me immensely in the beginning days of nursing when my nipples are extremely sore and also prevent my nipples from rubbing against my clothing. They’re not meant to prevent leaking, so I wear these nursing pads on top of them in my bra.
RELATED READING: My Pregnancy Must-Haves
10. Arctic King Stainless Steel Freezer. I bought this small freezer to use exclusively to store breastmilk and it’s worked out great. If you have a huge supply of frozen breastmilk, you may want to go the deep freeze route, but this size ended up working great for me.
11. Nursing Bras – These bras are very comfortable to wear during the day or while sleeping. They come with extender hooks, but note that they do run a little small.
12. Medela Quick Clean Breast Pump and Accessory Wipes – These wipes are super convenient to use for cleaning breast pump parts while I’m at work or on the go.
RELATED READING: What’s In My Hospital Bag For Baby #2
13. Earth Mama Organic Nipple Butter – This nipple cream is extremely moisturizing on dry or cracked nipples and I like appreciate the clean ingredients as well.
ALSO OF NOTE:
- Kelly Mom – A helpful online resource for breastfeeding and pumping.
- Local lactation consultant – While online resources can be useful, a certified lactation consultant can offer the expertise and one-on-one guidance you may need.
- Pump Log – I love using this app to keep track of how much milk I pump.
- Pumping Pals set – If you need an adaptors for your Spectra pump, I highly recommend this set.
Do you have any breastfeeding or pumping favorites? Leave a comment below letting me know what’s on your must-have list!